VHHS Halloween Costume Guidelines
BUL-5298.2 outlines District Policy regarding Halloween activities; and has been developed to allow students to participate in enjoyable, positive, and controlled activities, while maintaining student safety. The following guidelines shall apply:
• The single largest criteria is that costumes may not be demeaning to any person or group based on ethnicity, race, religion, nationality, disability, gender, gender identity (boys as girls and vice versa), or individual (staff or student) at the school.
• Costume may not cause a significant or distraction to the school program; i.e., no revealing costumes (low cut, French maids, nightwear, bathing suites, etc.).
• No costumes may include props or equipment that is unsafe.
• No weapons, or even replica weapons, are to be brought to school.
• No costumes are allowed that would impair a student’s vision or movement (ability to climb stairs).
• Masks may not be worn during a parade or other specific activity, as determined by the administrator.
• All provisions regarding obscene materials or prohibited substance remain in effect.
• For the safety of all students, employees, and visitors, no clown costumes are to be worn on any District property.
• Clown masks may not be worn by individuals. Further, no makeup (including clown makeup) which will completely obscure the identity of an individual may be worn on any District property. Face paint shouldn’t cover more than 50% of the face (again, we want to know who you are).