Changing Minds is a new club forming at Verdugo focused on Mental Illness Awareness, Education, and Advocacy. We meet Thursday's at lunch in room 157 with Mr. Hallowitz. See our listing under Student Clubs for what we are about and updates on projects, events, speakers, videos/films, and our next meeting's agenda. Preventable tragedies linked to mental illness are a fact of life, but it doesn’t have to be that way. An individual’s illness is usually devastating to their entire family. People with serious mental illnesses are more likely to be homeless than treated, more likely to be imprisoned than hospitalized, and die earlier than the rest of us. Nearly 15% of all deaths can be traced back to mental illness or approximately 8 million a year. Changing Minds will be a voice for change. Mental Illnesses can be treated. Treatment can avert tragedy. Mentally ill minds do matter. Join Changing Minds and together we can change the future.
- Learn how to help and build hope. Learn what’s effective and what’s not.
- Combat ignorance and stigma. Learn how to be an effective agent for change.
- Learn about current laws, public policy and how to affect policy reform.
- Investigate brain science.
- Learn about the different kinds of serious mental illnesses and common treatments.
- Advocate for effective training and safer encounters between the police and someone acting out of mental illness.
- Learn how to support someone in crisis and get them the appropriate help.
- Connect resources in our community to those who need them.