2017-2018 VAPA Theme: Celebrating Brave Acts
The Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Magnet is celebrating its 5th year and serves 9th-12th grade. The VAPA Magnet specializes in traditional arts and entertainment. VAPA students start with an introduction to theater, dance, music, and the visual arts. Advanced students experience depth of study in their chosen area of art.
We offer the A-G graduation requirements, honors and Advanced Placement courses in multiple subjects. As well, we provide a personalized approach for our students as we guide them through high school years and help prepare them to be career and college ready.
ARTS EVERY YEAR: VAPA students take a minimum of one art class each year!
VAPA students have a multitude of opportunities to participate in concerts, shows, exhibits, festivals, competitions, tours, workshops, arts related field trips and our guest speaker series.
VAPA juniors participate in an arts related job shadow and a spring showcase.
VAPA seniors participate in an arts internship and the senior showcase.
- Cheer received 3rd place at the CIF Regional Championships!
- Winter Guard, in their new division (Scholastic A) took first place at Arcadia High School!
- Juda Gonzalez represented Verdugo at the Semi-Finals and Finals in the LA ESU Shakespeare Competition
- Dance Team won first place at the LA competition!
- Cheer won first place at Golden Valley!
- Winter Guard won first place at Murrieta Valley!
- Fall Play, Battle Hymn, received performance and technical theatre honors at the CA Educational Theatre Association High School Theatre Festival in Rancho Cucamonga. Special kudos to Michaela Mahoney for receiving a director's award and an adjudicator medal.
- The Marching Band, Color Guard and Drum Line took 2nd over all in LAUSD and the Color Guard took 1st!
- The Marching Band, Color Guard and Drum Line competed in their 3rd competition at Sierra Vista and came in as the top LAUSD school! Color Guard came in 2nd and Drum Line came in 3rd. Congratulations, Marching Dons!
- VAPA Actors performed at the Drama Teachers Assn. of S. CA Fall Festival! Congratulations to semi-finalist Michaela Mahoney!
- VAPA Dance Students participated in a Dance & Dialogue cultural dance day
- HAMILTON! 75 Verdugo Hills VAPA US History students attended the musical cultural phenomenon Hamilton @ the Pantages on October 26 through a generous grant from the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History!
- The Marching Dons and Verdugo Color Guard are thrilling fans at home football games
- with their field show, The Sound of Music
- VAPA Senior English class receives a grant to work with visual artist, Debra Disman
- 50 VAPA Students attend the matinee of Matthew Bourne's Ballet The Red Shoes
- VAPA Seniors intern with the Musical Theatre Guild on their production of Sugar
- VAPA Juniors work with The Actor's Co-Op on their Job Shadow with the production of 39 Steps
- VAPA Music Students help Sunland Elementary School celebrate!
The Visual and Performing Arts Magnet specializes in traditional arts and entertainment.
VAPA students start with an introduction to theater, dance, music, and the visual arts.
Advanced students specialize in topics of their choice:
- Theatre: performance, directing, improvisation, Shakespeare, design and technical production
- Music: vocal, instrumental, theory and composition, recording
Dance: ballet, modern, jazz, choreography, Dance Team
Visual Arts: painting, design, sculpture, 2D design, 3D design