2019 Graduating Seniors: Complete the VAPA Magnet Senior Exit Survey by 5/30 to receive your Magnet Graduation Stole!
2018-2019 VAPA Theme: Finding Your Voice
The Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Magnet is celebrating its 6th year and serves 9th-12th grade. The VAPA Magnet specializes in traditional arts and entertainment. VAPA students start with an introduction to theater, dance, music, and the visual arts. Advanced students experience depth of study in their chosen area of art.
We offer the A-G graduation requirements, honors and Advanced Placement courses in multiple subjects. As well, we provide a personalized approach for our students as we guide them through high school years and help prepare them to be career and college ready.
ARTS EVERY YEAR: VAPA students take a minimum of one art class each year!
VAPA students have a multitude of opportunities to participate in concerts, shows, exhibits, festivals, competitions, tours, workshops, arts related field trips and our guest speaker series.
VAPA juniors participate in an arts related job shadow and a spring showcase.
VAPA seniors participate in an arts internship and the senior showcase.
- 2018-2019 APPLAUSE:
- A Capella won first place at Music in the Parks as well as Outstanding School
- Jayla Jones won outstanding soloist at Music in the Parks
- Rock Band, Verdugo 6, performed at the Roxy in Hollywood
- Emma Weber received a scholarship from DTASC and CETA
- Congratulations to all performers, musicians and technicians who worked on Cinderella!
- Sixty students attended the LA Holocaust Museum while exploring our VAPA theme
- Dance Team placed first at the Sharp Nationals in Las Vegas
- A Capella singers received a scholarship from the Verdugo Council
- Winter Guard placed 1st at the southern CA Championships
- Drum Line advanced to finals
- Cheer won 3rd place at the LAUSD Championships
- 150 students attended the Alvin Ailey Dance recital at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion
- 90 students attended: LA Philharmonic @ the Disney Concert Hall for the role of music in story-telling
- 14 VAPA students participated in the LAUSD Honor Band marching in the Rose Parade
- LAUSD Marching Band Championships - 2nd Place for Band, 1st Place for Color Guard
- Winter Music Extravaganza was a success for all musicians and community
- 50 VAPA Students attended Come From Away @ the Ahmanson Theatre
- Kudos to all of the students involved with the successful fall play, Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
- Varsity DTASC (Drama Teachers Association of S. CA) received semi-finals ranking,
- kudos to Finalists Like Dreaming Backwards
- English Classes attended the meaningful production of Children of Wilsden Lane @ the Music Center
- Junior Varsity DTASC - all participants received honorable mention status
- Centennial HS Marching Band Competition - Band & Drumline - 3rd place, Color Guard - 1st place
- Drama Teachers Association of Southern CA Varsity and JV Theatre Festivals - Finalists
- Savannah HS Field Tournament - Drumline & Color Guard - 3rd place
- Balwin Park HS Marching Competition - 3rd place
- VAPA Magnet Middle School Tour
- 50 VAPA Students attended the classic musical Man of La Mancha at A Noise Within
- Jayla Jones won the vocal competition at the Folklorico Festival
- Jayla Jones and Emma Weber were selected by the CA State Thespians to perform and advocate for the arts in Sacramento at the capitol in March!
- VAPA Music Students performed in Hawaii this past summer
- VAPA Students worked on a music video this summer regarding anti-bullying
The Visual and Performing Arts Magnet specializes in traditional arts and entertainment.
VAPA students start with an introduction to theater, dance, music, and the visual arts.
Advanced students specialize in topics of their choice:
- Theatre: performance, directing, improvisation, Shakespeare, film, design and technical production
- Music: vocal, instrumental, theory and composition, recording
Dance: ballet, modern, jazz, choreography, Dance Team
Visual Arts: painting, design, sculpture, 2D design, 3D design