School of Advance Studies
Students who reside within LAUSD boundaries, may apply for an SAS permit for 2018-2019 enrollment.
Schools for Advanced Studies serve as District demonstration sites for innovative and research-based differentiated curriculum and instruction for gifted/high ability learners in multiple categories. The selection of a school as a Schools for Advanced Studies site is based on proven commitment and ability to offer a sustained, highly effective, exemplary gifted and talented education (GATE) program that includes essential GATE/SAS program components.All interested students must meet ONE of the following requirements in order to qualify for VHHS's SAS program:
- Student identified as gifted/talented in LAUSD in the Intellectual, High Achievement, Creative Ability, Leadership Ability, Specific Academic Categories (English, Math, Science or Social Science).
- Student scored in the “Standards Exceeded” range on Spring 2017 SBAC in both ELA and Math, or student has TOTAL national score of 85% or above on a District-approved standardized achievement test in the most recent year (e.g. OLSAT-8).
- Student meets ALL FOUR of the Critical-thinking and Problem-solving criteria:
- Explain meanings/relationships among facts, information, or concepts that demonstrate depth and complexity.
- Formulate new ideas or solutions and elaborate on the information.
- Use alternative methods in approaching new or unfamiliar mathematical problems.
- Use extensive vocabulary easily and accurately to express creative ideas.